CURRENTSelf Employed, San Diego, CA
Product Design / Mechanical Engineer
PRODUCT DESIGN EXPERIENCEExyn Technologies, Philadelphia, PA
Jul 2017 - Mar 2018
- Designed and built the multi-spectral sensor package for an autonomous aerial robot in construction, warehouse and mining applications (Fusion360, team of two).
- Designed and prepared PCB's (KiCad), custom cables and micro controller subassemblies (Fusion360) for prototypes used in construction sites and mines. University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Masters Student, Integrated Product Design Program
Jul 2015 - May 2017
- Designed and developed a consumer kitchen product to provide fresh pasta at the push of a button with a team of three (6 month project); ID and CMF selection done alone (Rhinoceros).
- Modeled and prototyped pasta kneading and extruding mechanism with 3D printed parts and machined aluminum gears using Solidworks; mechanism concept developed alone.
- Built headphones that toggle between open and do not disturb mode using 3D printed plastic and laminated wood; all ID, ME, EE and finishing done solo.
- Developed a team-building office robot using simple motion and touch sensor and built a cosmetic prototype for user testing; all ME and EE design completed solo. Blossom Interactive, Philadelphia, PA
Hardware and Engineering Lead
Jan 2016 - Nov 2016
- Conceptualized and developed the kinetic sculpture to raise awareness about Hunger Action Month in Philadelphia with support from Penn Design's PennPraxis.
- Partnered with four local non-profits working on hunger and food access issues to raise social media awareness.
- Fabricated the sculpture using fiberglass, wood, and metal.
- Wired the circuit board and coded the electronics with firmware to respond to Instagram and Twitter, including server code (C#, Python, MongoDB). Self Employed, Portland, OR
Jun 2014 - Jun 2015
- Carried early concept of a bicycle traffic sensor through early component selection and testing in a startup environment (team of two).
- Built functional prototype of a bicycle traffic sensor for on-the-street testing using proximity, ultrasonic and laser radar sensors; all ME and EE work done solo (Solidworks).
- Assembled wearable electronics EVT build using neoprene and thermobond adhesive with wire assemblies in collaboration with Terrazign, who did all the design work. UTENSILE Product Development, Portland, OR
Apr 2013 - Jun 2014
- Led the Beijing-based ME team of three to build MICA, a wearable electronic device for Intel, from preliminary cosmetic models to mass manufacturing (a few thousand units).
- Supported the MICA project on the ground in China with design reviews in Pro/Engineer and part reviews for T1 parts.
- Traveled to Singapore to debug the curved touch screen lamination process before moving the machine to the assembly line in Shenzhen, as the solo mechanical engineer. Alloy Product Development, San Francisco, CA
Jun 2010 - Jun 2012
- Designed, modeled and built consumer electronics for Fortune 500 clients (Pro/E).
- Created assembly instructions and managed a four person assembly team to build functional digital camera prototypes for product testing and field use.
EDUCATIONM.S.E. Integrated Product Design, University of Pennsylvania
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Washington University in St Louis
B.A. in Engineering, Oberlin College (Dual Degree Program)
SKILLSComputers: Solidworks, Pro/E, Fusion360, KiCad, Microcontrollers, C, C++, Python, MongoDB, Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel, Powerpoint
Languages: Mandarin (int), Spanish (adv)